This Motivational Interviewing (MI) online course is designed for beginner to intermediate students of MI. The instructor is William J. Matulich, Ph.D. For more information about Dr. Matulich, visit the "About" section of this web site.
This course is designed for compassionate professionals dedicated to helping others make positive changes in their lives. Psychologists, social workers, counselors, therapists, addiction professionals, life or health coaches, nurses, doctors, all professionals in the caring industry will benefit from learning the powerful techniques of MI from the comfort of home or office, without the hassle of expensive and inconvenient out-of-town trips.
Our course breaks down the essentials of MI into 13 digestible modules, complete with engaging animated videos, post-tests, and practical exercises that ensure participants grasp the skills practically, not just theoretically. As they progress, participants find themselves not just understanding the core elements of MI but applying them in professional interactions.
Upon successful completion of the course, including attending all sessions, passing each post-test, and submitting a course evaluation, participants will be awarded a certificate of completion.
Optional CE credits are also available to a wide variety of professionals for an extra $25.00. If you are interested in CE credits, be sure to click the "Register Here for Course with CE Credits" button below. 12 CE credits are provided by CE-Classes.com. CE-Classes.com is approved by:
Licensed Professionals should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval.
At the completion of this course, participants will be able to:
1. Identify and explain the four components of the “Spirit” of MI and their significance in motivating behavior change.
2. State and demonstrate how to assess and strengthen a client’s motivation to change using scaling questions.
3. Identify the fundamental MI skills: Open-ended questions, Affirmations, Reflective listening, and Summaries, in a directional manner that encourages intrinsic motivation.
4. Recognize the need to have at least 50% of responses during an MI session be reflective listening responses.
5. Recognize and appropriately reinforce client “change talk.”
6. Identify several strategies to effectively elicit change talk from clients.
7. Describe the origins and roles of client resistance/discord within the therapeutic relationship.
8. Describe the ability to foster client commitment and assist in the formulation of a comprehensive change plan based on SMART goals.
9. Describe the flexible nature of MI and demonstrate its implementation as a primary or adjunctive approach in diverse therapeutic settings.
10. Identify MI techniques to address and navigate client resistance or non-adherence, thereby enhancing their skills in maintaining a constructive therapeutic relationship and improving client adherence to the change plan.
We understand that plans can change, and we aim to be as flexible as possible. Participants who wish to cancel their enrollment in the Online Motivational Interviewing Class may do so under the following conditions:
Within 24 Hours of Purchase: Participants who cancel within 24 hours of purchasing the course will receive a full refund of the course fee.
After 24 Hours of Purchase: A cancellation fee of $50 will be applied to cancellations made more than 24 hours after the purchase. The remainder of the course fee will be refunded to the participant.
We are committed to providing a high-quality educational experience and value feedback from our participants. Should you have any grievances related to the course, please submit them in writing to email@example.com. All grievances will be reviewed, and you can expect a reply within 10 business days. We strive to resolve any issues promptly and satisfactorily.
Although our course is conducted online, which typically minimizes the need for ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) accommodations, we are committed to ensuring accessibility for all participants. Should you require any special accommodations to fully participate in the course, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will work with you to make all reasonable adjustments to facilitate your participation.
Transparency and integrity are paramount in our educational endeavors. We hereby declare that there are no known conflicts of interest associated with this course. This statement assures all participants that the course content is presented fairly and objectively, without any undisclosed bias or influence.
This online, animated MI course is a learning experience that will empower participants to facilitate change with confidence and compassion. More than a professional development opportunity—this course is a pivotal step in enhancing professionals’ ability to inspire change and make a lasting impact on the lives they touch.